Round2 MPC Space
old enough to remember seeing Space 1999 when it was first shown
on TV. I watched the Anderson's UFO series as well before that,
so following Space 1999 was a natural for me.
many others, the Eagle spaceships, and other models in the series,
caught my eye. In the 1970s when the MPC 12-inch Eagles were issued,
I built plenty of those over the years. Even as late as the 1990s,
and recently the new version with the resin parts to create the
laboratory pod and upper booster set.
newest kit by Round2 is 22-inches long (half the size of the original
series models, which were 44-inches in length). It's also exceptionally
accurate to the TV series models.
two sub-assemblies for the body were assembled. Though they look
complex, Round2 has made all the joins easy to follow and glue
together. It's all well thought out as far as the way the kit
front one nearly fell together, and it went quickly. The rear
one, for reasons I couldnt figure out, needed some muscle from
some clamps to hold it square while the glue dried.
spine went together well. I glued the two main parts end to end,
and let those driy for a few days. I then came back and added
all th extra crossmembers. Just make sure the entire spine is
square. Look down the spine from one end with your eye, so that
the two sides have the same angle, and the upper portion is sqaure
in the middle.
dry, it seems to be quite strong.
nose cone is detachable to show the pilots. I painted that piece
with the two figures. The space suits would be orange, so I painted
them yellow, as the lightest color, since darker colors (orange)
will cover yellow easily, rather than the other way around.
nose cone is primarly two parts, halves as it were. The seam was
minimal, I only had to use my finger to smooth on a little putty
in a few places at the joints. It was then shot with primer and
landing gear pods have been assembled. Again, the joints were
minor, so only a few spots needed any putty to fill them. I've
assembled the halves for the tanks for the rear engines, I still
need to work on those seams.
the main middle cargo pod, I plan on making ir orange like the
VIP version. Though only the faces will be orange. To do that,
I've primered them white, with a coat of white for the doors.
I then masked them off to shoot on the overal orange color.
not 100% correct (the entire pod should be orange), I think it
will look good, I've seen other pods painted this way online.
only adding some orange because the Eagles are pretty much only
one solid color overall, and I want to add some interest with
don't have plans to light this kit up (the few lights there are
on the actual Eagles). But maybe on the next one I build. I'll
see how the entire kit build goes first.
doubt you could see the pilots in the dark nose cone. So rather
than leave the windows clear, I painted them orange. Not that
anyone will notice, but if the outside light hits the nose just
right, it might look good. I used Tamiya Clear Orange on the backside
of the windows.
nose cone blackout areas are Round2's decals. A couple of them
broke while adding them to the part, so if I build an Eagle kit
again, I'll probably paint them on instead of using decals.
of the two orange painted side panels for the main cargo pod.
The door's center still has to be painted orange. The figures
have been painted the colors as the show used. I took liberties
with the back panel with my own color choices.
gives you decals for the chest plates on the figures, and numbers
(1 -9) for the door. You can choose the number you want to use,
I chose "7".
to assemble the cargo module. The parts are thick and sturdy.
being primed and painted. There were some small seams and sharp
edges that needed some putty sandng on the pods, but overall,
they fit together well. Round2 used a creative way to make the
fit the Eagle model, yet make them very sturdy to support the
beginning of the nightmare on the tubes and pods for the rear
the landing gear assembled in the background.
getting there slowly but surely.
engine bells were painted a chrome color on the outside.
made a paint mask so I could paint the inside of the engine bells
black. Cardboard with a hole cut into it. I then covered it with
masking tape, and recut the hole, so the tape will seal the edges.
slip the bell into the hole then paint. And reuse the mask for
the other 3.
most of the decals. The engine cluster at the end is a test in
paper instructions could have been better (drawn) and with more
views. In the end, I had to fudge on a few things, but only a
diehard Eagle expert would know by looking at it. 99% of the people
who will see the model won't know or care. Besides, on thethe
TV show, they were destroying Eagles, taking them apart for spare
parts, crashing them etc, so I doubt two of them were exactly
landing gear struts use springs that Round2 provides. One of the
springs fell into one of the assembled pods, and I couldn't get
it out, so I didn't use the springs. Though, I have no intention
of actually 'playing' with the model anyway, so it's not a big
deal. They seem to be ok without the springs.
Engine bells are on.
spine, though it seems sturdy, supports everything else on the
model. So I wanted a good solid bond with the glue. I used a clamp
to hold it in place, and let it dry overnight to be sure.
the clamp to mount the rear parts for the glue to dry.
made the base from a prepainted black shelf from Lowes (about
#13.00). I used a for sale sign for the red platform, which I
randomly painted. I then used two Plastuck crater sheets on each
used velcro to attach the Eagle to the base, just so it doesn't
fall off. (velcro from Lowes).